- New York's Yiddish Theater New York's Yiddish Theater
- Poland's Yiddish TheaterPoland's Yiddish Theater
- The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum
- Visionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-GardeVisionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-Garde
- Literary Theater Troupes/Miniature TheaterLiterary Theater Troupes/Miniature Theater
- Yiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde StageYiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde Stage
- Translations and AdaptationsTranslations and Adaptations
- THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)
A Published Letter to the Founders of the Yiddish Theatrical Museum of New York
This letter is included in the only volume of documents Shatzky managed to publish under the rubric of the Yiddish Theatrical Museum. "Goldfaden Book" included a meticulously edited collection of documents associated with the theater's first days under the stewardship of Goldfaden. A review of his work from the Romanian press published in 1877, bits of Goldfaden's autobiography that were published in various Yiddish periodicals, rare by 1926, around the turn-of-the-century. Shatzky's keen knowledge of historical sources allowed him to pull together these documents, translate them to Yiddish when necessary. With them, he canonized Goldfaden as the central figure in the theater's development. The letter, written by Moyshe Teplitski, an actor who acted under Goldfaden's direction, reflects Shatsky's aspirations to shore up the prestige of Yiddish culture.
YIVO owns the compilation of content that is posted on this website, which consists of text, images, and/or audio, and video. However, YIVO does not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some content is in the public domain and some content is protected by third party rights. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in YIVO websites.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. Please visit https://www.yivo.org/Rights-Reproductions for more information about use of materials from this website.
YIVO has employed due diligence in seeking to identify copyright holders of the materials in this compilation. We invite any copyright owners who are not properly identified to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“A Published Letter to the Founders of the Yiddish Theatrical Museum of New York ,” YIVO Online Exhibitions, accessed October 3, 2022, https://ataleoftwomuseums.yivo.org/items/show/6631.