- New York's Yiddish Theater New York's Yiddish Theater
- Poland's Yiddish TheaterPoland's Yiddish Theater
- The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum
- Visionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-GardeVisionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-Garde
- Literary Theater Troupes/Miniature TheaterLiterary Theater Troupes/Miniature Theater
- Yiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde StageYiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde Stage
- Translations and AdaptationsTranslations and Adaptations
- THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)
The Dybbuk Tours Europe
This article (undated) is a first-person acount by the director Dovid Herman of his experience directing The Dybbuk in Oslo, Norway. In 1927, the actor and theater pioneer Agnes Mowinckel (1875-1963), ran the Balkongen Theater, a short-lived avant-garde theater located in Oslo. After attending a performance of The Dybbuk in Berlin Mowinckel traveled to Poland to track down Herman and invite him to direct a version of The Dybbuk, presumably in Norwegian. The Norwegian actress and singer Ragnihold Caroline Monrad (1879-1950) played the lead role of Leah. The article does not specify the time of this performance. Since the Balkongen Theater lasted on two years—from 1927-1928—we know that sometime during these two years Herman introduced The Dybbuk to Norwegian audiences!
YIVO owns the compilation of content that is posted on this website, which consists of text, images, and/or audio, and video. However, YIVO does not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some content is in the public domain and some content is protected by third party rights. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in YIVO websites.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. Please visit https://www.yivo.org/Rights-Reproductions for more information about use of materials from this website.
YIVO has employed due diligence in seeking to identify copyright holders of the materials in this compilation. We invite any copyright owners who are not properly identified to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The Dybbuk Tours Europe,” YIVO Online Exhibitions, accessed September 21, 2021, https://ataleoftwomuseums.yivo.org/items/show/2934.