- New York's Yiddish Theater New York's Yiddish Theater
- Poland's Yiddish TheaterPoland's Yiddish Theater
- The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum
- Visionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-GardeVisionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-Garde
- Literary Theater Troupes/Miniature TheaterLiterary Theater Troupes/Miniature Theater
- Yiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde StageYiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde Stage
- Translations and AdaptationsTranslations and Adaptations
- THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)
Recovery of remnants of the Theater Museum Collection
After discovering them in Offenbach, Germany, The American Army returned remnants of YIVO's looted archival collections. Among them were thousands of pages and other artifacts from the Esther-Rachel Kaminska Theater Museum. They were shipped to YIVO in New York in 1947.
As the granddaughter of Esther-Rachel Kaminska, Ruth Turkow Kaminska (1919-2005), recalls in her memoirs, I Don’t Want to be Brave Anymore:
It was in Vilna, too, that I had emotional experience of a different kind. I happened to be on hand when the buried treasures of YIVO, the Yiddish Institute of Research, were dug up. Just before the Germans had moved into Vilna, people had taken the trouble to hide documents, books, and artifacts of their cultural heritage, so that it would survive even though they would not. As I watched the excavation I was handed carefully wrapped documents and mementoes of my own family; the Institute had had a collection devoted to my grandmother and some of it had been among the things buried.
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
YIVO owns the compilation of content that is posted on this website, which consists of text, images, and/or audio, and video. However, YIVO does not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some content is in the public domain and some content is protected by third party rights. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in YIVO websites.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. Please visit https://www.yivo.org/Rights-Reproductions for more information about use of materials from this website.
YIVO has employed due diligence in seeking to identify copyright holders of the materials in this compilation. We invite any copyright owners who are not properly identified to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Recovery of remnants of the Theater Museum Collection ,” YIVO Online Exhibitions, accessed March 23, 2023, https://ataleoftwomuseums.yivo.org/items/show/2203.