- New York's Yiddish Theater New York's Yiddish Theater
- Poland's Yiddish TheaterPoland's Yiddish Theater
- The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum The Dybbuk and the Theater Museum
- Visionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-GardeVisionaries of Poland's Yiddish Avant-Garde
- Literary Theater Troupes/Miniature TheaterLiterary Theater Troupes/Miniature Theater
- Yiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde StageYiddish Plays on Poland's Avant-Garde Stage
- Translations and AdaptationsTranslations and Adaptations
- THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)THE ERK Yiddish Theater Museum ( Warsaw 1926)
The Wolves, Romain Rolland
Zygmunt Turkow translated, staged, and acted in a Yiddish version of The Wolves by French writer and Nobel Prize winner, Romain Rolland (1866-1944). Rolland was a significant influence on participants of the Interwar Yiddish Art Theater. He was an outspoken pacifist, a Communist, and also an important force in the democratization of the theater.
With The Wolves, Turkow sought to create epic effects with his staging by layering simultaneous action in the foreground and background. He deployed lighting and shadow to create the effect of crowds on the stage and the unfolding of history.
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
YIVO owns the compilation of content that is posted on this website, which consists of text, images, and/or audio, and video. However, YIVO does not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some content is in the public domain and some content is protected by third party rights. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in YIVO websites.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. Please visit https://www.yivo.org/Rights-Reproductions for more information about use of materials from this website.
YIVO has employed due diligence in seeking to identify copyright holders of the materials in this compilation. We invite any copyright owners who are not properly identified to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The Wolves, Romain Rolland,” YIVO Online Exhibitions, accessed September 21, 2021, https://ataleoftwomuseums.yivo.org/items/show/2130.